Friday, August 6, 2010

Re-release Darth Vader and....old Batman review



Darth Vader. This is actually the first Vader I have ever bought. Personally, I don't care for him. More so after the train wreck of the prequels. I needed him for something I'm working on.


I liked the idea of a removable helmet, but there are two problems. It doesn't really snap into place. It just a pressure hold and I think that is very flimsy. It doesn't fall off with a light shake, but it does pop off if I try to twist the head. Which brings me to the other problem I have, the head can only twist to the left and right. There is no up-down movement. Another thing I'm disappointed about is that there is no ab swivel. The Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker really spoiled me for Jedi articulation. I know his chest piece was the likely culprit as the reason it wasn't done, but I still think it could be engineered to work. The cut swivel legs are still there. This is the one thing I can't believe Hasbro is still using. I just don't understand why they can't upgrade it to G.I. Joe leg standards. I don't need double jointed knees and elbows. Just give me ball-jointed legs!


Vader comes with his red lightsaber, display stand, dice, card, and random blasters. Another thing I don't understand, why the blasters. Stop making these and use that money for better leg joints!!!! The dice and card are for the "game" they made so they could justify re-releasing figures like this one.

One last thing I didn't like about Vader. His cape is see-through. This makes the figure look like he's wearing a dress. If his cape was made out of the same cloth as the magnificent Batman figure here, it would be badass. The use of the cloth on Vader is spectacular, if only it were made of a different material.

So while I've got this Batman here, I'll share some thoughts. There are two figures that I find that stand far above the rest. The first one, a Revy Revoltech. Its double cut shoulder and wrist joints allows it to do some of the most epic poses that have not been seen since in any other line. Figma almost had it. Play Arts Kai almost has it. McFarlane probably had it back in the day, but it certainly doesn't have it now.(Don't care for Halo, so no go there.) Note: I still have yet to experience a Figuarts figure. The other figure is this Batman.

It was a Toys R Us exclusive two pack with Robin. I bought the variant where Robin had a blue costume. Robin was not amazing. This Batman, however, blew my mind because of its cape and sculpt. The articulation on this figure is actually about the same as a "good" Star Wars figure. It has an ab swivel joint, and it has the stupid leg cut joint. The sculpt and colors on this Batman ooze awesome. I've seen a lot of Batman figures, but almost none of them feel like it jumped off the pages of a comic book like this one. At the base of the cowl, there's a rubber piece. Under that, is a big cloth cape. It's the most epic cape I've ever seen. Caped figures I've encountered thus far were almost always rubber. This always limited how the figure looked in different poses and angles. With a cloth cape, it can look more alive. With one this big, it's simply epic in nature. I only own two other Batmans. Batman Beyond from the DC Classics line, and a 10" Batman from the Justice League cartoon. Other Batmans I'm looking to acquire at some point: Red Son Batman and Ame-comi Batman. Red Son Batman is the only other figure that looks like it jumped from the pages of a comic. Ame-comi Batman just looks awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment